There is a lot you have to give up to enter into life as a
clergy person. You give up a sense of control over your life as you give it over
to God (and your bishop.) You give up your home parish. If you are called to go
away to seminary, as I was, you give up your friends and proximity to your
family. You give up your financial stability. But in the midst of all that loss
there is this tremendous gain in realizing your calling. As I sit at my desk in
my new office typing this message to all of you, I can’t imagine being anyplace
else.
I loved my time in Virginia and I wouldn’t trade it for the
world. Despite the feeling of family in
that community, there was a part of me that could never internalize that it was
home. You go to seminary in order to prepare for the next step in your call
toward ordination. Seminary is not a destination; it is a beautiful stop along
the road. Despite the deep sadness I feel at leaving that place, I knew it was
time and I left with the people I loved the most.
One month ago, almost to the day, I drove up to my new
apartment in Arlington. There were “welcome” balloons tied to the front porch
railing. When I opened the door I was washed in the scent of fresh lilies and
found my living room already set up for me. I went into the kitchen and found a
fridge stocked with my favorite foods and a beautiful basket filled with
cleaning supplies, snacks, tea, and other essentials. I hadn’t cried at all
since leaving school but in that moment the tears came. I made a cup of tea and
drank it out of my new Parish of the Epiphany mug. In that moment I knew I had finally
come home. Despite being overwhelmed by all of the emotions swirling inside of
me I could identify that there was one emotion greater than all the rest:
gratitude. For the first time in a long while I can set my feet on firm ground
and internalize – this is my home.
No comments:
Post a Comment